The methodology is to describe the systematic procedures, arrangements and safety measures, which should be followed during site clearance works, topsoil stripping and grubbing. Contractor will remain responsible to ensure compliance with all site clearance work and safety stipulations/measures as stated in this method statement and associated risk assessment and also to ensure all due care & protection for the existing facilities/properties in the vicinity.
The methodology for site clearance will involve the removal of existing material, waste, existing structures, uprooting of trees, topsoil stripping and grading, prior to the initiation of the earthworks and structural works within the boundary of the construction site.
- Site Engineer
- Safety Officer
- Site Supervisor
- Equipment Operators
- Dump Trucks
- Survey equipment
- Other hand operated tools(if required)
Personal Protective Equipment
- Hand gloves
- Ear plugs/Earmuffs
- Safety glasses
- Safety vest (high visibility)
- Hard hats and safety shoes
- Site Engineer
Site Engineer is ultimately responsible for execution of work and quality / safety management. He is the link between the Client and Contractor. Site engineer shall also ensure that the Works are done and maintained in accordance with the specification and the approved method statement. Site Engineer is responsible for establishment and promotion of process plans by managing all the manpower and equipment involved in the construction, and shall resolve technical issues and provide supports. Preparation of execution plan and quality / safety plan. Compliance with schedules in accordance with process plan.
- Safety Officer
Safety office is accountable for the preparation of execution plan and quality / safety plan. He shall ensure the compliance with safety measures in the schedule and ensure the condition of the tools, tackles, and equipment involved in the activities. Maintaining proper housekeeping before and after the activities. Proper instructions to the workers in handling the job shall be done by safety officer.
Work Methodology for site clearance
- Boundary shall be marked prior to the commencement of work. An approved land surveyor shall do the setting out of the site boundary.
- Setting out survey drawing shall be submitted to client for the verification and approval. In addition, site benchmarks, levels and dimensions will be marked as per the profile drawings.
- Underground scanning or trial pits shall be performed in order to find out the existing underground utilities to mitigate damage during site clearance works. Report shall be submitted to client for approval and comments shall be received on removal, relocating or protection of such services.
- Personnel entering the location shall have received a site safety induction.
- All equipment and tools to be inspected prior to deploy at site.
- A Permit to excavation shall be received from the concerned authority where site clearance and topsoil stripping is to be carried out.
- Access to site shall be studied and proposed shall be submitted for approval.
- Before site clearance activities start, area shall be divided into zones based on the priority as per construction schedule.
- Temporary access roads shall be developed (if required) for equipment and other vehicles.
- Removal of trees, shrubs, stumps and their roots to full depth.
- All the existing substructures (i.e. manholes, cable ducts etc.) shall be reported to concerned engineer prior to demolition and removal.
- Removal of existing debris from the site.
- Topsoil shall be removed by machine and surplus material either shall be stockpiled at site for reuse purpose or shall be disposed outside in designated dumping yard appropriately.
- Any contamination in soil shall be notified to client/consultant. Disposal of hazardous material shall be as directed by the authority and as per disposal plan.
- Cavities or voids formed due to removal of vegetation and structures shall be back filled by using suitable material to prevent water accumulation.
- Clearing activities shall be filed/recorded on daily basis.
- Trained operators or banks-men shall be engaged to control or operate heavy equipment machine during site clearance.
- Site personnel involved in the activities under this Method statement shall wear basic PPE like safety helmet, safety goggles, safety shoes, safety gloves etc.
- The operators will have the valid license and third party certificate.
- Adequate safety signs shall be provided for safety as the work is being carried inside the Site.
- Surrounding services will be protected to prevent from damages.
- All the equipment shall have the registration certificate, ownership certificates, third party certificates and insurance.
- Daily housekeeping will be carried out after the work.